Housing Counseling

Anyone interested in buying a home for sale by the U.S. Government, particularly first-time homebuyers, should seek assistance from a housing counseling agency approved by the Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD). HUD supports a network of approved housing counseling agencies that provide counseling services across the nation. For a complete list of HUD approved agencies in your area, call the HUD housing counseling referral line toll-free at 1-800-569-4287 or visit the HUD website at www.hud.gov/offices/hsg/sfh/hcc/hcc_home.cfm.

HUD Homes

After you find a HUD Home on homesales.gov that you want to buy, you should find a real estate broker who can submit the bid for you. The broker can submit the bid online. Normally, HUD Homes are sold in an "Offer Period". At the end of the Offer Period, all offers are opened and the highest reasonable bid is accepted. If the home isn't sold in the initial Offer Period, you can submit a bid until the home is sold. Bids can be submitted any day of the week, including weekends and holidays. They will be opened the next business day. If your bid is acceptable to HUD, your real estate agent will be notified, usually within 48 hours.

For more information on HUD Homes:

USDA/Rural Development Homes

After you find a USDA/Rural Development home on homesales.gov that you want to buy, you should contact the local USDA/Rural Development servicing office, which will provide the most current and accurate information regarding the status of the home as well as your eligibility for potential program benefits. You can find the local servicing office contact information on the home's description web page. Depending on your circumstances and the status of the property listed, your method of bidding and ultimately purchasing the property may vary.

For more information on USDA/Rural Development Homes:

VA Homes

After you find a VA Home on homesales.gov that you want to buy you should have a real estate agent or the selling agent prepare the Offer to Purchase And Contract of Sale VA form, and complete all necessary documentation. Your agent will submit your offer through the listing broker for approval. The listing broker's name and telephone number are found at the beginning of each listing.

For copies of required forms and more information on VA homes: